Week Ten: Pink Macarons and Sugared Cranberries

Examining Elizabeth's china and a book about Angelica Kauffmann
Photo Courtesy of  Sarah Sutton
My graduate class Managing History, taught by Dr. Hilary Lowe, partnered with PhilaLandmarks this semester to reimagine the story of the Powel House. Each student was assigned a topic stemming from the house, and we are researching and planning out self-guided tours dealing with our topic. My topic is Elizabeth Willing Powel. My main research question is: how does Elizabeth's story relate to everyday women of the time? How did Elizabeth's story differ from the women walking the street in front of her mansion? I hope to answer these questions and more by looking deeply into the lived experiences of women in the eighteenth century.

Can the story of one woman stand in for the story of all women? This is sort of a loaded question, but I plan on diving into it with my tour of the Powel House. My topic is Elizabeth Powel, famed salonniere, hostess, and business woman. Well, many people don't know she was a business woman actually. Elizabeth was one of a kind; she could dance like a lady and speak like a man. But what made it possible for Elizabeth to learn these skills? In all honesty, money made this possible. Elizabeth grew up with access to books of all sorts, training in language and writing, and the opportunity to taste foods from all over the world. Most women never had these chances, and I believe it is important to tell those stories as well. I want visitors to come out of the Powel House with more knowledge about the lives of everyday women in the eighteenth century. I plan on using Elizabeth's story to show a comparative look at ordinary women.
Viewing the Tour Guide Binders
Photo courtesy of Sarah Sutton 
In my tour I will talk about the problems that women had to deal with in the eighteenth century, but also their triumphs. I wanted to tell the story of ordinary women because typically, house museums are the ultimate domain of women. Most historic house museums were created/saved/founded by individual women and women's groups. House museums often tell the lesser known stories of history - stories of servants, food, women, and child-rearing. A house was the place where a woman's story would unfold, and this is what makes the Powel House the perfect place for a tour about women in the eighteenth century.  As for my tour stops, I plan on stopping in the front office, dining room, ballroom, and drawing room. I am unsure if I want to enter the servant's area, aka the room that was set up to represent the Powel's bedroom. This room causes a lot of problems for me because it wouldn't effectively tell the servant/slave story of the house because it is dressed up as a wealthy person's bedroom...and it wouldn't tell the story of an eighteenth century bedroom either because it is not accurate.

Some of the specific women's issues I'll be touching on look like this:

Front Room/Samuel's Office: This is a tricky room, because it is typically explained as Samuel Powel's domain. However, I will interpret this room as a place of business for both of the Powels. Elizabeth took over Samuel's business ventures after his death, which was the privilege of an elite, and intelligent, widow like Elizabeth. I will use this room as a jumping-off point to talk more about women's limits in the business world and the larger economy of the Revolutionary period.

Dining Room: Looking at the china which was gifted to Elizabeth, I will introduce the topic of class and wealth. Elite Philadelphia women were able to purchase items like this because of transatlantic buying and selling. Philadelphia's Society Hill elites were strongly influenced by the refined and civil societies of Britain and France. I want to explore the relationship between women, education, cooking, and transatlantic influence.

Ballroom: I will use the decoration of this room to refer to the lavish parties that happened here. I will touch on women's relationships with men and what was appropriate, and the role of women in hosting parties and salons. Women who hosted salons were able to interact with men, which would not happen in public spaces often, and talk about politics, culture, modern philosophy, and literature.
Elizabeth Willing Powel
Photo Courtesy of JSTOR. http://www.jstor.org/stable/20020407?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
Withdrawing Room: This room is going to be the most important room of the tour, in my opinion. In spite of the fun and important conversations that were had in this room by the Powels and their friends, I will use this room to talk about more upsetting facts of life for eighteenth century women. This is the room that will relate Elizabeth the most to ordinary Philadelphia women. I will largely shy away from the decoration in the room, and rather draw the visitors' attention to the painting of Elizabeth, attributed to Matthew Pratt. This is a mourning portrait of Elizabeth, wearing what is speculated to be a nursing gown, to signify the deaths of her children, and her husband. I will use this painting as a transition to talk about "Republican Motherhood", widowhood, and public vs. private spheres for women.

I have visited the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to view Elizabeth's letters, but I didn't find anything useful to me right away. I will need to go back again to look for more specific papers; I might look into Samuel's papers there as well. So far, some of my favorite books I have used in my research are listed below:
  • Carol Berkin, "Revolutionary Mothers: Women in the Struggle for America's Independence," (New York: Knopf, 2005).
  • François Furstenberg, "When the United States Spoke French: Five Refugees Who Shaped a Nation," (New York: Penguin Group, 2014).
  • Karin A. Wulf, "Not All Wives: Women of Colonial Philadelphia,"  (Ithaca, NY: Cornell UP, 2000).
  • Susan Branson, "These Fiery Frenchified Dames: Women and Political Culture in Early National Philadelphia," (Philadelphia: U of Pennsylvania, 2001).
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sampling eighteenth-century desserts after filming
Photo Courtesy of Sarah Sutton

Photo Courtesy of Sarah Sutton

In other news, today my classmate Alaina and I were able to visit the Powel House for a special occasion! The PBS series A Taste of History was filming another episode featuring the parties at the Powel House. This episode featured the spread of foods made famous through a letter written by John Adams. Check out part of his description of a dinner party at the Powel's house HERE.  Alaina and I were able to observe the filming of an Emmy Award-winning show, and we were also able to taste desserts created from authentic eighteenth century recipes! City Tavern's pastry chef baked the wonderful desserts, and aligned the table exactly as John Adams described in his letter. There was even beer made using George Washington's recipe! This was an unforgettable experience that I am so thankful to have! 
Pink Macarons & Sugared Cranberries!
Photo Courtesy of Sarah Sutton

Comments