What does it mean to be #modern?

This week we are asking big questions. As Bruno Latour quotes in his chapter titled "Crisis", "Nietzsche said that the big problems were like cold baths: you have to get out as fast as you got in." (19). And that is exactly how I feel about this week's readings. Latour and Levitt force us to question everything we know about our compartmentalized lives... I was left somewhat confused about being a truly interdisciplinary student myself. Is it a good thing to combat a question with multiple perspectives, or am I wearing myself too thin? Am I a pleasantly interdisciplinary student, or do I just know a little bit about a lot of things? Latour's work was difficult to understand, which is why I never understood why we write these blog posts prior to our class discussions. My understanding of Crisis is that Latour was trying to come to terms with the hybridity of doing interdisciplinary work in a world that loves to fit things into neat categories. The restrictiveness of categories is evident by the "critics'" reactions: "the critics have developed three distinct approaches to talking about our world: naturalization, socialization and deconstruction." (5). And these three categories cannot be mixed within research. This concept doesn't make much sense to me personally, but I'm sure I'll understand it better after our class discussion. However, I do understand how categorizing research and writing into specific unwavering categories can hurt the practice; mainly because categories not only simplify the work being done, but also shape the way readers approach the work itself. In social media terms: If I tag my object study posts as #history #materialculture, students searching for taxidermy or Philadelphia history might completely miss me.
Do we live in a #hashtag world?
Image Courtesy of {http://www.becomeablogger.com/22120/wordpress-categories-and-tags/}

Laura Levitt  expresses similar distaste for categorization in her essay "In the Potter’s Hands: Precarium or the Holocaust Object." Levitt looks at Edmund de Waal and emotional attachment to objects. I say emotional attachment, but it's about more than that.. Levitt describes the true power of collecting. For example, Levitt's piece is just like the articles described in the beginning of Latour's piece. She has a single thread of {collecting and Holocaust objects} which intertwines through narratives about de Waal's work, social justice, and emotional trauma. She writes beyond the boundaries of simply "history" or "material culture studies" or even "politics". Levitt also expresses the importance of the narratives behind historical collections and the arbitrary value of those collections. By continuing to tell the story of what happened during the Holocaust, we are able to participate in the "labor of doing justice" (9). Meaning, by looking at the curated Holocaust objects, we are in a sense returning the objects to their rightful owners. We are giving the objects provenance. I've never thought about objects in this way before, and I liked the idea of visitors and viewers participating in something that goes beyond the museum doors.  


As for my object study on Grip the raven, I'm hoping to write beyond the boundaries of simply history, public history, or even material culture. What I am most excited for is to not only tell the story of a taxidermy bird in Philadelphia, but the story of taxidermy itself. Why was there such a boom of taxidermy in the 1800s? Why do we even want taxidermy animals in our homes? The craftsmanship behind taxidermy is what really interests me here. I believe that the taxidermists of the mid-1800s were participating in a craft that goes far beyond just working with your hands - they too were breaking categorical boundaries. They were breathing new life into creatures who had lost theirs already. Whether the animals were "trophies" or friends, they became immortal with the tools of the taxidermist. I will dive into this more deeply in the coming days!

Comments