Week 8 - Marking for Real

Here I am marking twill tape which will be sewn onto the pillow in front of me
Photo Courtesy of {Sarah Sutton}
This week was all about accessioning! I learned about the process of accessioning a collection, tagging objects, and marking objects. All of my work prior to this week prepared me for the accessioning process. In the weeks leading up to the accessioning project, I had completed an inventory, written condition reports, created PastPerfect records, and researched marking objects. The collection that needed to be processed contained memorabilia from a pharmaceutical company dating from the 1970s-1990s. The first step of the process was to lay out parts of the collection and go through them one by one. I first went through a spreadsheet and gave each object an accession number, then I filled out the spreadsheet with an object description, name, official name using museum nomenclature, condition report, and measurements.  After this, I could then write out the paper tags with object name, official name, and its accession number. I then attached the tag with a cotton string, and moved on to the next item. This week I processed around 40 objects.
Here I am marking an object after the barrier has set
Photo Courtesy of {Sarah Sutton}
This is the B-72 and B-67
Photo Courtesy of {Sarah Sutton}
These are some of the objects with their tags, waiting to be marked
Photo Courtesy of {Sarah Sutton}
This is the finished product!
Photo Courtesy of {Sarah Sutton}
The next set of steps in the process revolve around marking the objects with their accession numbers. I mentioned the barrier and ink method of marking in one of my previous blog posts, but now I can give more detail about the process. The barrier and ink method was the most used method for this collection because it consisted of many glass and hard-plastic objects. The first barrier which is painted on the object is called B-72. B-72 acts as the barrier between the object's surface and the marking ink itself. The B-72 takes a while to dry, so it's always best to wait an extra amount of time to let it dry completely. The next step is to write the accession number in marking ink - but be careful not to push too firmly with the pen! The same can be said when marking with just a pencil - sometimes the impression in the surface of the object can cause more damage than just the pencil's lead.
 
Here Stephanie is using white ink to mark a dark-colored object
Photo Courtesy of {Sarah Sutton}
Stephanie is marking an object with white ink
Photo Courtesy of {Sarah Sutton}
After the ink has set, the next step is to seal the accession number. The sealing layer is called B-67. B-67 should be painted in a single stroke along the number, but not beyond the barrier. The B-72 barrier should be larger than the B-72 seal. The object should sit undisturbed for about 30 mins or longer, depending on the thickness of the barrier and ink seal. It took me three days to get through the collection, and there are still about 4 objects left to mark. Other than the barrier and ink method, I also used archival twill tape to create labels with accession numbers for textiles!
 
A sewn label
Photo Courtesy of {Sarah Sutton}
This was very exciting for me because I've never had any experience with textiles in the past. For this method, I first wrote out accession numbers on twill tape, and cut the tape with extra space on each side. I then folded each side over so when the label is sewn onto the textile, it has a double layer of tape for strength. I only sewed about three stitched loops on each side of the tape, to keep the damage caused by the needle to a minimum. The placement of the twill tape label is especially important. It is key to keep it visible, but not distracting. And also secure, but not too tight. Another thing to remember is to give the label some space to stretch if it is being placed on an elastic garment.


Overall this week was exciting for me because I had the opportunity to practice skills that I have never even tried before. I now feel comfortable and confident with the entire accessioning and marking process.

Comments